Welcome to 4d2.org!
So it's come to this...you've met us
Since 2001, 4d2 dot org has worked to provide interested folks with free access to communication and collaboration services in a mixed Linux/BSD environment. We focus on technical transparency, user privacy and free speech, with a dash of anarchy, cypherpunk and retrocomputing for good measure (ask us about building a web server on a C64 or running NetBSD on an Amiga 3000).
After 10+ years subsidizing our activities with a commercial hosting service, then 3 years operating as a 501(c)3 nonprofit while choking on tax paperwork, we're back to our roots as a small self-funded service. It's simpler, we've had the good fortune to be able to afford it, and we're having fun doing it.
Hey! Free stuff!
Cool, so, what's the catch? What's your angle? Does this cost money in some insidious way? Are you a cult?
- Want secure email without Google or Microsoft? Want to host your own website, learn to code, or explore a Linux/UNIX command line? If you would like a mail, shell and/or web account, please contact the admin (see bottom of page). We prioritize individuals and not-for-profit organizations.
- Want to chat and make voice/video calls in a private environment, away from data-harvesting corporations? You can sign up for a free Matrix account instantly, then goad your friends into doing the same. It's really pretty great.
- Want to have structured public discussion in spaces that anyone can create, complete with commenting, private messages and up/down voting (like Reddit)? Or just endlessly repost tired memes that you stole from people on Facebook (also like Reddit)? You can access our Lemmy instance and sign up for a free account to post, comment and create your own communities.
A cult? We wish! In fact, we hope that by providing these free services, we will encourage you to learn more about our perfectly normal new religious order, the Reformed Tertiary Quantum Church of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal. Please send your best drawing of a $5 U.S. banknote and a stamped envelope addressed to your childhood self, into which you have screamed a detailed account of a time when your mother deeply disappointed you, to Six by Nine Online Services, PO Box 25751, Portland OR 97298, USA. You will receive a copy of our lavishly illustrated pamphlet Four Hundred Twenty More Reasons to Be Deeply Ashamed About Your Body, Especially Those Parts Right There
OK, not really. We're just humanists trying to provide folks with access to technology for education and fun. Sorry.
4d2 dot org Network Status
Our servers are directly powered by 100% renewable energy or 100% offset by renewable energy credits.
Services Available with a Click (or tap, whatever, we're behind the times)
|alan||Debian||Am Datacenter-Park 1|
|8x Ampere Altra CPU threads|
160GB NVMe storage
|In-House Web Apps|
39.351 ms from here
|bayard||FreeBSD||Constantin Brâncuși St nr. 3|
|4x Intel E5-2670v2 CPU threads|
80GB NVMe storage
|In-House Web Apps|
|You Are Here|
|harvey||Debian||4951 NE Huffman St.|
Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
|4x AMD 7002 CPU threads|
160GB NVMe storage
|North America POP|
190.030 ms from here
|marsha||FreeBSD||600 S. Federal St.|
Chicago, Illinois, USA
|2x Intel E5-2670v2 CPU threads|
1TB HDD RAID storage
|Public File Sharing|
140.749 ms from here
|32x AMD 7950X3D CPU threads|
2TB NVMe RAID storage
Public Fediverse Apps
46.903 ms from here
I Demand to Speak with the Manager!
- Public Matrix messaging server
- Individual and group text chat and 1:1 voice and video calling, with end-to-end encryption and the ability to talk to anyone in the world, even if they use a different Matrix server. You can even bring in your Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, LinkedIn and Signal chats, too.
- Public Lemmy discussion server
- Threaded discussions, link and image posting with up- and down-voting like Reddit. But Lemmy servers are autonomous and communicate with each other, so you can see content from all over the world without any central entity being in control.
- Public Jitsi conferencing server
- Group audio and video conferences like Zoom, Google Hangouts or Microsoft Teams, with support for camera video and screen sharing. No signup required, just enter a conference name and share it with your other participants. Use it through the browser, or the Jitsi Meet app on iOS or Android.
- Public URL shortening service
- Turn long URLs into short ones like 4d2.link/fQ4D5x, or custom ones like 4d2.link/mykazoosolo. No advertising. Great for QR codes.
- Ridiculously simple file sharing service
- Upload files from anywhere and get an instant link others can use to download them. Works fine with your 20-year-old browser or your shell script.
- Email information and tools
- Warrant canary (what's that?) - PGP public key (fingerprint: 5F757D255E42C51C7D8CCC7EDE58CC99BCA104CA)
- We do our best to update the canary at least 1-2 times per month.
- The proprietors' recipe book
- As in actual food, not technology.
Contact sarah at 4d2 dot org
via email, or @sarah:4d2.org
To Donate to 4d2 dot org (always appreciated, but never necessary):
CashApp: $sarah4d2 / Venmo: @sarah4d2 / PayPal: email@example.com
Domestic bank transfers: USD, EUR (SEPA), CAD, GBP, AUD, NZD, SGP, HUF, RON: Please email for details
You are being served by bayard.4d2.org // Apache/2.4.57 (FreeBSD) OpenSSL/1.1.1t-freebsd PHP/8.1.23